Urgent air fryer warning as OAP’s machine bursts into flames as he cooked chips

US Politics News

Politics News / US Politics News 28 Views

A PENSIONER had a “lucky escape” after his air fryer burst into flames whilst cooking oven chips.

James Cooper, 76, stated he was left “completely shocked” after his fashionable Tower cooker caught hearth whilst making dinner.

James Cooper
James stated he was left “completely shocked” after his air fryer burst into flames[/caption]
James Cooper
Thankfully he managed to extinguish the blaze[/caption]

The hearth burned for underneath 10 seconds before James – who lives alone – was capable of place the flaming cooker in his garden and extinguish the blaze.

The pensioner stated: “I was cooking oven chips, which is strictly what it was designed to do.

“My fryer was only used three or four occasions every week and had an easy life, really.

“At first I assumed I had spilt something onto the fuel burner because I might odor intense burning.

“It was an entire surprise to see it was the fryer itself that was on hearth.

“It didn’t burn for very long however the odor caught round for a while afterwards.

He added: “I used to be really fortunate to be right by it when it went and I might stop it and take it outdoors very quickly. However not everybody who has one would’ve been in a position to try this.”

James, from Cheltenham, claims manufacturer Tower – which sells 23 several types of air fryers – advised him to easily return the system and declare a refund.

The retired building surveyor stated: “I feel with points like this the place it truly catches hearth they need to be taking a look at issuing a recall.”

The kitchen gadget – which sells for anyplace between £30 and £200 has swept the nation as a low-cost cooking various – with fuel and electric costs spiking on account of the cost of dwelling disaster.

Research last yr found sales of the cooker soared by 3000% – with the gadget costing simply £55 a yr to run, compared to electric cookers which may see customers cough up more than £350 a yr.

However James stated the fiery incident had put him off utilizing the finances kitchen device.

He stated: “I might by no means purchase one other one and I’ve informed my grandson to throw his out since you never know what might occur.

“It might have been a lot worse. I was horrified once I appeared on-line and saw pictures of other individuals’s fryers.”

Hearth service stats show air fryers ignited 37 fires in 2022 – double the figure from 2021.

Earlier this yr Manchester mum Rebecca Sim’s kitchen was virtually burned down after the fryer almost fried her.

The 52-year-old from Prestwich, Larger Manchester, stated a small flame quickly became an “inferno” as she threw the gadget outdoors.

The retired instructor, who has multiple sclerosis, stated: “I used to be really shocked… Thank God I didn’t depart it – it might have burned the kitchen down.

“It was a very nasty experience that would have been far, far worse with out my quick-thinking.”

Tower have been contacted for remark.

James stated he was grateful the hearth didn’t burn down his kitchen